Page 42 of 47 FirstFirst ... 323738394041424344454647 LastLast
Like Tree254Likes
    Did you try to set up 1-click on Amazon.com?

This is the first time I've used the Amazon Store with Android and it worked fine for me.
    I don't really like Android, but we really need to appreciate what CyanogenMod has accomplished with their Android port to the TouchPad. Why? Apps!

"Going back to Android" on the TouchPad feels so fuzzy and confusing with all its confusing setting and menues.
    I got more disappointed to notice that (for instance) ALL versions of Angry Birds are free in the Android Market, where the same versions are paid in the webOS App Catalog on the TouchPad. It's not just Angry birds, but all major apps you want to have, even if paid, are just there in Android!

I knew this was going to happen the moment I decided to install Android on the TouchPad.
    I did donate the CyanogenMod team for their great work, though.

Man, I do hope so much that webOS will end up in good hands, because it's in essence on par with the ease of use of iOS, if not better. HP does not deserve to own webOS. webOS deserves to be owned by a party that knows how to show of webOS' strengths, but most importantly keep the current developer base intact and make the App Catalog grow. That's going to be the only way to get all the goodies others have onto webOS devices.
    Last edited by Fresh; 10/15/2011 at 07:00 PM.
    midas69 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fresh View Post
    I got more disappointed to see the fact that for instance ALL versions of Angry Birds are free in the Android Market, where the same versions are paid in webOS on the TouchPad. It's not just Angry birds, but all major apps you want to have, even if paid, are just there!
    I believe most of those free ones are ad-supported.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I believe most of those free ones are ad-supported.
    True! But Angry Birds was just an example and all versions are available in the App Catalog. Happy to see that.
    Unfortunately that's not the case with all major apps. It's going to get worse as time passes. Some big party needs to save webOS from HP!

Sorry, but CyanogenMod works great! I'm breathless.
    Let's get back to Android in this thread. Didn't mean to go off topic...
    Last edited by Fresh; 10/15/2011 at 07:11 PM.
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fresh View Post
    I don't really like Android, but we really need to appreciate what CyanogenMod has accomplished with their Android port to the TouchPad. Why? Apps!
    I agree with everything you've said. I've never owned a tablet before. Never even played with one. My cell phone is a Blackberry. So I had no experience with either webOS or Android. My only experience with iOS is on my iPod Touch.

webOS is vastly superior from a pure OS standpoint. It does seem slower than Android considering it's running on the same hardware. But it's just so much more elegant. I suspect many, not all, but many of the folks that prefer Android do simply because it's what they're familiar with.

But as you said, apps is the issue. I fought this battle before with a superior OS without apps. I was a long time hold out with OS/2. But eventually you have to concede defeat. Small apps will likely continue to be developed. But the big boys will just ignore it.

It's too bad, but it's reality I'm afraid.
    dignitary likes this.
    I personally prefer the Card system of WebOS, but the apps I want are not there.
    I did notice that Android has a pointer to help move the cursor if you have to fix a typo or insert a space between words. it's a pain in the **** to keep touching the screen and trying to get the cursor to the right point in WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by benzoboy View Post
    SETcpu adjusted to 384mz and working like a charm!
    How do you adjust the cpu speed ? I checked under settings, and it does not allow me to change the cpu. How do you access the menu setting to change the cpu speed ?
    wow, I'm excited. Just for the better browsing experience, I might install android and get opera mobile browser. Even though I like webos, the flexibility afforded by android dual boot is just awesome.

here are some questions:

1) is the keyboard more responsive?

2) how's battery life?

3) do you have to use the home button often? In webos, I rarely use it since you don't have to. I'm afraid it could fail prematurely like it did on my iphone 4.

4) how do you set android to boot as default?

I can't wait to install this tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by next_milenium View Post
    wow, I'm excited. Just for the better browsing experience, I might install android and get opera mobile browser. Even though I like webos, the flexibility afforded by android dual boot is just awesome.

here are some questions:

2) how's battery life?

3) do you have to use the home button often? In webos, I rarely use it since you don't have to. I'm afraid it could fail prematurely like it did on my iphone 4.

1. Seems better to me.
    2. No glaring issue there, haven't felt like the battery was draining unusually fast. Sleep isnt working as well as it should power-wise, so its probably better to reboot to webOS or turn it off when done is your going to let it set awhile... Should be fixed in the next Cyrano update.
    3. There's a soft home button. No need to use the physical one at all. I don't.
    4. It does it automatically on install.

do remember to grab a CPU program like CPU master and change the minimum clock speed to 384 or 480, otherwise this alpha build will freeze when put to sleep quite often. Otherwise, everything more or less works fine.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    Quote Originally Posted by next_milenium View Post

here are some questions:

2) how's battery life?

I personally prefer the stock gingerbread keyboard to webos. With android, you have the option of trying out different keyboards. My favorite by far is thumb keyboard. you have the option of a split layout that is much more conducive to thumb typing when in landscape.

So far so good as far as battery life goes. Seems to not last as long as it did in webos, I still get a full day's worth of serious use (games, browsing, tinkering).

You have soft buttons that replicate the standard set of android buttons. The only time I've used the physical home button is when making selections in clockwork mod.

android is the default boot option.
    If I don't touch my tablet for 30 seconds, it ends up dimming and then a few seconds later it will turn off. How do I extend this time period ?
    I meant to say, does anyone else notice how poor the dithering is at this point? (Especially obvious in icons). Is that just a factor of the screen driver or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by sylvestor1234 View Post
    How do you adjust the cpu speed ? I checked under settings, and it does not allow me to change the cpu. How do you access the menu setting to change the cpu speed ?
    D/L and install setCPU from the market
    ᛖᚲ ᚹᛁᛏᚲᛁ ᚱᛁᛊᛏ ᚱᚢᚾᚠᚱ
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I meant to say, does anyone else notice how poor the dithering is at this point? (Especially obvious in icons). Is that just a factor of the screen driver or something?
    Right now the pixel density of the display is being set to the same as the Nook Color's CM7 port, which is to say as an understatement that it's suboptimal--and makes some games that display on my Photon 4G fine ironically look too large on my Touchpad. I'd expect them to fix this in future updates, and sooner rather than later.
    Quote Originally Posted by sylvestor1234 View Post
    If I don't touch my tablet for 30 seconds, it ends up dimming and then a few seconds later it will turn off. How do I extend this time period ?
    Menu -> Settings -> Display -> Screen Timeout. May be a slight variation on the names on this ROM, but the path is pretty much the same to get to that setting.
    It could just be my imagination but the TouchPad running CM7 seems to be charging MUCH faster on the Touchstone than it did when it was running webOS.
  17. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Someone want to do me a favour?

Download Libra and tell me - how do you add your weight?????? I can do the basic set-up but now add my weight - am I missing some obvious?

edit: no... some of the buttons are off the screen....
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post

Download Libra and tell me - how do you add your weight?????? I can do the basic set-up but now add my weight - am I missing some obvious?

I have downloaded it to my honeycomb transformer so it might not be exactly the same.

There is a small plus (+) icon in a circle, press that and you can enter today's weight.

The icon is at the top right of my screen (but as said the location might change)
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post

There are some apps like LCD Density Changer and LCD Resolution etc that will change the screen resolution. I have never used them so I cannot recommend any of them, but perhaps they might be worth a look?
    DemonHighwayman likes this.
  20. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VanFred View Post
    There are some apps like LCD Density Changer and LCD Resolution etc that will change the screen resolution. I have never used them so I cannot recommend any of them, but perhaps they might be worth a look?

Thanks - I'll just use it on the phone for the moment, not sure I want to spend too much time customising an alpha, I'll likely wipe and reinstall at some stage.