Page 40 of 47 FirstFirst ... 303536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Like Tree254Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    BTW, care to give a walkthrough of how exactly you reach this end-result home screen? It's busy but I like the way it looks - what apps are you using? A basic list of steps for those of us new to android?
    I use Go Launcher EX Pro because I never really liked ADW Launcher. That's how I got all my apps into individual folders. With that I installed the Honeycomb Theme that's available in the market. The calendar widget is Go Calender which is also available in the market. I think it's only compatible with Go Launcher EX. The first music widget at the top left is from the Google Music Beta. I installed the version for ICS and it's available here: (APK) Google Music 4.0.1 for ICS + Google+ 2.0 for ICS - xda-developers. For Twitter I use Seesmic and the Google+ widget comes with the regular Google+ app. The other music widget is PlayerPro and I use it because if I'm in an area without WiFi I use it to listen to the music on my device since I wouldn't have access to my library that's saved on Google Music. The weather widget is from WeatherBug and all the other stuff is pretty much included when you install the respective apps (YouTube, Pandora, Tumblr). For the status bar theme I installed TransformerBread but have since changed it to HoneyBread.
    Any charging issues so far?
    dreadlion42 likes this.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Nah, no worries about bricking - it's basically impossible on the touchpad (there's essentially nothing you can do that a trip to webos doctor can't fix).

Give it a go - but at least for this alpha version do remember to crank the cpu min-speed up a hair in android or you'll experience the "sleep of death" which certainly feels like bricking (the touchpad becomes unresponsive, black screened, and you have to do a hard reset by holding power/home for a long time then tapping power a second time - highly annoying).
    Thanks for the tip. I can't say I fancy losing my webOS media (Emulation ROMs, PDFs, etc) as is widely reported but there is nothing there that isn't backed up ...

Can I assume that future releases will be installed via a simple update?

Not that the Alpha installation is particularly complex (for a techie, anyway) but I don't fancy going through a long-winded process for every incremental release.

Quote Originally Posted by beardedspoooon View Post
    Do it dude, don't be afraid.

I told myself I would wait until a more stable release came out, then I figured what the hell.
    You and yer wild ways ... I've got some spare time tomorrow, I can see it being Android Day. I'll need a bit of time because once I install it I can see it being a tweakathon
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rghilliard View Post
    I didn't really comment on bugs other than my panic when I thought I had bricked it. My negative impression was based on not liking the Android interface as well as WebOS. I found it less intuitive. It had nothing to do with bugs. I knew the risk and I couldn't care less about the minor bugs I have seen. Had I bricked it I would have been mad at MYSELF and no one else.
    That's not the way you worded your post. You stated that you thinking it was bricked left a bad first impression of Android, which is why you took the flack. Go back and read your posting again and you'll see.
    Quote Originally Posted by matteebee13 View Post
    Any charging issues so far?
    Mine is charging fine in the Touchstone. It also goes to Dock mode when it is placed in the Touchstone.
    I was able to get the Google Voice app working for Texting but can't make calls since it looks for an internal mobile radio.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaCHooKa Man View Post
    this is pretty much exactly like my phone except everything fits on one screen lol. i dont think ill be using webos at all anymore. even with with sometimes not being able to wake up from sleep and other little problems here and there, i enjoy the experience way better than webos. but im biased since ive been using android for a year and a half now.
    Wow.... a little busy for my taste, but it's nice to know you can do this. Looks good!
    I posted this fix in the main "other tablets" forum, but, the "sleep of death" bug seems to be fixed by changing your minimum CPU speed to at least 384 mhz or higher.

For some reason android on touchpad is having a hard time waking up from 192mhz. Make the change, save it, and you're golden . I've been running awhile with sleep and wake cycles with no issues. Prior to making this fix, I must have hard booted my touchpad half a dozen times thanks to this bug this morning. CPU master free can adjust it (and can crank up your max speed as well, if you feel like overclocking).

As for browser discussion, yes, Opera -is- a bit faster than dolphin. Really I like them both, they are extremely nice. Opera mobile does score a bit better on sunspider, and a stopwatch test shows it doing the job a bit faster. I'm not complaining either way though - both of these browsers are better than the stock touchpad webOS browser that can't even DISPLAY text properly, let alone reflow it .
    Great tip Ninja boy!
    Quote Originally Posted by benzoboy View Post
    Great tip Ninja boy!
    SETcpu adjusted to 384mz and working like a charm!
    if it is like other Rom updates I have used it can sometimes be a little more complex. It is sometimes very important to do a clean install, so it might be necessary to wipe the cache or similar. Upgrading to Honeycomb can be a little complex if the device needs to be repartioned.

The answer is titanium backup, can save a lot of time.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 10/16/2011 at 08:40 AM. Reason: quoted post deleted
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    I've been absorbing the feedback so far and apart from accepting some media files are probably going to be deleted there doesn't seem to be much to be wary of.

Quote Originally Posted by VanFred View Post
    if it is like other Rom updates I have used it can sometimes be a little more complex. It is sometimes very important to do a clean install, so it might be necessary to wipe the cache or similar. Upgrading to Honeycomb can be a little complex if the device needs to be repartioned.

The answer is titanium backup, can save a lot of time.
    Ta for the advice, I keep hearing about Titanium Backup, it seems to be the thing to use.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 10/16/2011 at 08:41 AM. Reason: quoted post deleted
    Still playing. Widget with the news is pulse, inspired by dude at xda.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Really loving opera browser - it's night and day to the stock webOS browser - however I might install Dolphin HD because it has a lastpass add-in.

The more I play with evernote, the more I really like it because it's a proper tablet app and the ability to take handwritten notes is fantastic (just ordered a stylus) - can't wait for ICS, then the real fun starts.

Anyone started to comply a list of apps that make advantage of the screen estate?

So far I have

Evernote
    News Republic
    Pulse

Anyone got anything else?
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbymd7 View Post
    hmmm. The problem seems to be Opera mini browser. Flash isn't playing in it, but works fine with android browser.
    Everyone should make sure that they are using opera mobile NOT opera mini...It's an easy mistake because the former will not show up in your market unless you run the latest market patch with cwm.

With its compression and full flash support, it has been the best browsing experience I've had on a tablet (both my touchpad and viewsonic gtab). Paged render lightning quick, snap into proper focus to best utilize the tabs screen real estate and tabbed browsing is easy intuitive.
    Last edited by crutzulee; 10/15/2011 at 07:39 AM. Reason: cwm
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I am seeing people talking about using an ICS version of GAPPS? anyone got it or seen it?
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I am seeing people talking about using an ICS version of GAPPS? anyone got it or seen it?
    This is something advanced Android GB users can relate to.

Don't post <staff edit>that TouchPad Alpha Android users are just getting to know....

Come on....
    Last edited by sledge007; 10/15/2011 at 08:27 AM. Reason: language
    I know the goal was a dual boot, but is their anyway to completely get rid of webos and only have android?
    Quote Originally Posted by discr33t View Post
    I know the goal was a dual boot, but is their anyway to completely get rid of webos and only have android?
    This is yet unknown.

You are not the first to ask the question.... clear out webOS and Android OS only.... sounds cool enough, but it is a ways a way, as we are only in the Alpha version of Android, plus if you have done any digging or playing with your TP, you will have come to appreciate webOS.

I personally still like my webOS and like that it is dual boot, hell I want TRI boot with the 3rd being iOS 5! Haha....
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by benzoboy View Post
    Ok Indian Flyer boy, couple of questions:

1. WHO is talking about ICS gapps?
    2. Let's pretend it does exist.... WHY would you want to install that on to an ALPHA version of Android OS?

3. Unless you get the FULL ICE CREAM there is no reason to install a half *** version, again.... see points 1 and 2.
    are you confused? Do you think I am your dog or your wife? Because I am not sure how you normally interact with people but your Internet tough guy thing isn't working for you. Reformulate your questions to resemble adult conversation and I will be happy to answer you. (try leaving out the racism as well).

Sent from my touchdroid using Tapatalk
    are you confused? Do you think I am your dog or your wife? Because I am not sure how you normally interact with people but your Internet tough guy thing isn't working for you. Reformulate your questions to resemble adult conversation and I will be happy to answer you. (try leaving out the racism as well).

Hmmm.... you didn't respond or refute any of my comments. You fail.

Nope not confused... I have a cat and a girlfriend. No dog or wife.