Page 22 of 47 FirstFirst ... 12171819202122232425262732 ... LastLast
Like Tree254Likes
  1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadVim View Post
    Yup, sounds like the vast majority of the work done so far will carry forward too so the port shouldn't be as epic as this one.

Now, excuse me, my TP needs a reboot, 1 sec delay between keypresses does not a fun time make ...
    Are you on 3.0.3? I had that problem and went back to a supported version.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Are you on 3.0.3? I had that problem and went back to a supported version.
    On 3.0.2 here, it seemed to coincide with a period where I couldn't get to this forum too. Gone away now so no big deal ...
    Has eveyone seen this chomper update?

Quote Originally Posted by kalel33 View Post
    Even when it comes out, I'm not touching it for at least a few weeks. Because I already am a Cyanogenmod user I know that even a release candidate is not without problems. It's not until they release a pure stable version that you can be assured that all major problems are taken care of and some minor ones will be found.

I'll let everyone else be the guinea pigs.
    for me personally my TP is a toy, so if it needs to go to the doctor I'm ok with that

now with my smartphone past experience has taught me to only tinker with proven And stable releases!
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crutzulee View Post
    Has eveyone seen this chomper update?

Technically very impressive but there is no way I'd want an OS running on top of (or alongside) another. Just my view though.
    The lines written under the list of newly supported devices seem to be the closest thing we've had so far to an eta....

CyanogenMod-7.1 Released! | CyanogenMod

There are many devices still in beta status (Pyramid, Doubleshot, Shooter, HP Touchpad, Optimus 3D, several more) that we will be promoting to release or release-candidates in the next few weeks when the code is merged to our main branch.
    TP beta version to arrive soon... *tasty* (source, for me: slashgear.com)

EDIT: oops...make that source: androidpolice.com
  8.    #428  
    Yeah just saw this as well. Excited myself

As much as I love WebOS its missing some major features for me in a tablet(both proper bluetooth support for data tethering with non webos devices & msn/facebook in the chat client or a decent multi-protocol alternative) not to mention all the other little bugs/quirks. So I may be forced to Android if those things aren't resolved shortly.
    If the firesale has incentivized software authors to pickup writing software for the Touchpad under WebOS, then I won't see any need to go Android.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    CyanogenMod-7.1 Released! | CyanogenMod

There are many devices still in beta status (Pyramid, Doubleshot, Shooter, HP Touchpad, Optimus 3D, several more) that we will be promoting to release or release-candidates in the next few weeks when the code is merged to our main branch.
    DemonHighwayman likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by pTeronaut View Post
    If the firesale has incentivized software authors to pickup writing software for the Touchpad under WebOS, then I won't see any need to go Android.
    Unfortunately that does not seem to be the case. Personally I was hoping a virtually captive audience would spur software developers to at least port some existing APPS to webOS but there doesn't seem to be much activity on that front let alone unique webOS APPS. It almost defies logic...write an APP (esp a game) for iOS and be drowned in the hundreds or thousands of similar APPS - or code for webOS and be the almost the ONLY game in town. Seems developers are leaving a lot of money on the table. Sure long term viability of a webOS APP is questionable...but to be honest, what is the average shelf life of an iOS APP unless you're Popcap or some major publisher with one of those hot apps that just seem to keep going and going?

If I had the time (or talent :-p ) I'd code for webOS!
    AZTouchpad
    - 32Gb HP Touchpad, Palm Tungsten E, 32Gb iPhone 4, 16Gb iPod touch (1st Gen)
    *...and I think webOS is awesome
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. - Gerald R. Ford
    On a more serious note here is a video of how to install the CyanogenMod on the TouchPad:

How much space will the Andriod require on a dual-boot Touchpad?
    My Touchpad currently only has 150MB of space left.... (probably
    downloaded way too many apps from HP App Catalog in the last
    month)
    sorli likes this.
    I just don't get the allure of Chomper's attempt at loading Android *through* webOS as a tenable effort people are getting excited about when the CyanogenMod team is way, way further along, has much more experience with porting Android to a vast number of devices in a high-quality, feature-complete form (Dalingrin did the highly-regarded B&N Nook Color port, for instance), and you'll still have webOS and Android on the same unit in a dual-boot configuration. Don't get me wrong and I don't mean to take away from Chomper's efforts or technical prowess as it's a pretty awesome technical feat to think of Android launching through a webOS card, but just how much of webOS is still running in the background with Android sitting on top of it sucking down its own base system resources (say nothing of an system-intensive game running within it) versus a true dual-boot situation?

Considering the limited system resources to begin with, it'll realistically run behind CM7's efforts performance-wise unless he can fully unload the parent OS and its processes for the same reason that unless you have an amazing rig, virtualizing Windows 7 within OS/X isn't as performant as running Windows 7 straight. I'll always take performance first. (A Quadrant Standard benchmark run and system resource utilization report on both Android ports would be interesting to see, actually, to see if it validates my point.)

CM7 will also realistically support its port in a much more comprehensive manner into the future as CM9 (Android's Ice Cream Sandwich) is already on the roadmap for the Touchpad after CM7's finished. Prior to the Touchpad, I owned a Viewsonic G-Tablet (one of the most popular and inexpensive tablets in the Android world) and CM's ongoing support of the platform has been nothing short of fantastic.

In short: I'll always go the CyanogenMod route every time. There's a reason why they're the most highly regarded in the Android world.
    Last edited by vanadium; 10/12/2011 at 12:30 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by pTeronaut View Post
    It's a cost/benefit analysis. If I'm a company looking at mobile OSes to branch out to and develop top-tier applications for, there are a few qualifiers that immediately come to mind:

1. If I invest in learning/sending someone to training in 'X' OS, I should be able to make an educated guess that the OS will be around for a while to maximize the value of that time spent learning and/or paying for training.

2. If I invest in devices, I expect the company behind them to support them until they (or another vendor) release newer devices.

3. If I actually go through with this investment in time and money and decide to throw a couple of people on a webOS project (i.e., paying their salary), I'd better see enough return on investment to have made it worthwhile. And a break-even ROI doesn't qualify.

Add it that the fact that, well, HP's treatment of webOS leaves everything up in the air. If they decide to sell it to a company (or consortium of companies) buying webOS strictly for the patents and other intellectual property, that pretty much spells the end for the entire ecosystem--including the only paid application distribution system for the platform and thus the only revenue lifeline even remotely capable of allowing a reasonable ROI.

Those apps that recently came out from Splashtop and (soon) Zinio? They were started before HP's announcement; they sure as hell wouldn't have been started otherwise, and the only reason they're seeing the light of day is to milk out some return on their respective investments so their efforts weren't a complete wash.

For the hobbyist or independent developer, webOS is a great choice to learn and hone your mobile skills as long as money isn't your primary reason for developing on the platform. As a serious contender amongst potential middle to top-tier newcomers to the platform, though, outside of iOS and Android it's WP7 all the way. Hell, even BlackBerry can't get traction, and they're still behind their QNX platform and Playbook hardware 100% (even if nobody else is).
    Last edited by vanadium; 10/12/2011 at 12:20 AM.
    cgk likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    All in it's own good time.. the CM7 dudes are clearly utterly exhausted!

If you're reading this guys.. eat some good food.. go for a walk in Nature.. and then get enough SLEEP! Even the human HDD needs to shut down every so often!

Thanks for all your Great Work too!

Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    If both the CM port and Chompers "android in a card" were mature and useful, I would chose "android in a card" every time.

I don't really want android, but I accept that it has apps I might want that webOS doesn't. I really would prefer some way of running those android apps as a card on webOS than having to reboot into android, even with a performance penalty.

I have no plans to install android at this time, even if the CM port is brilliant. I like webOS, and can't be arsed with the hassle of dual booting.
    My apps:
    Giddy 3 | Gridword
    geekpeter likes this.