Page 20 of 47 FirstFirst ... 10151617181920212223242530 ... LastLast
Like Tree254Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    i understand scaling. I own a nook color. I've owned the cheap asian tablets. I own a Streak 7 and Transformer. I know about alternative everything and root and flash just about everything I own. It's not about scaling, it's about how the OS was designed. Gingerbread just doesn't look good on big screens compared to Honeycomb. It just turns big screens into giant phones plain and simple. My Streak 7 is a completely different tablet running Honeycomb compared to Froyo or Gingerbread (both of which share the same issues on a big screen).

So I don't care if I spent $100 or $300. If I'm going to waste time and effort to put Android on it unless it's HC. I want the tablet OS, not a bunch of workarounds to make it work. Besides, I'm not an app wh@re (or just like to complain about a lack of apps). My Transformer collects a lot of dust, and my TP seems to go everywhere.

Most of my apps that even might be remotely unique are on my phone, and I actually prefer working in Docs To Go on my phone over the TF or with QO on the TP. My Epic with the keyboard and cursor keys and always at the ready in my pocket runs circles around any tablet keyboard combo I own. So for web, media, pdf's and such, I'll take the nicer OS over trying to port over GB. Besides, I'd rather see webOS make a comeback, and porting Android over kinda defeats that purpose, IMHO.
    Well, that's good to know. Now go and contribute something to improve webOS or help it make a comeback instead of explaining to us why you won't be putting Android on your touchpad.
    decalex likes this.
    Hey, I was just replying... I've been touting the pad since I got it and webOS for awhile. I was just always trashing the company, the products and the level of support and development since I returned my first Pre It's a shame there was such a disconnect between the quality of the OS and the products and support it received. If I knew how to develop, I would. But alas, no.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Hey, I was just replying... I've been touting the pad since I got it and webOS for awhile. I was just always trashing the company, the products and the level of support and development since I returned my first Pre It's a shame there was such a disconnect between the quality of the OS and the products and support it received. If I knew how to develop, I would. But alas, no.
    I was mostly being facetious.

For me, webOS on the TouchPad feels closer to a phone OS than Gingerbread on my Droid.

Regardless, it's pretty cool what people are willing to do just to prove it can be done.
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Interesting - so they are going to write a "boot to android" app for webOS?
    very true. guys with a lot of free time. Comparing ios on the ipad, honeycomb on the TF and webOS on the TP; it's the easiest for me to work in multiple apps and have things at the ready. Grouping and ungrouping cards can keep things organized. The only thing that would make it perfect is if you could run two cards on halfscreen at the same time. In portrait it would be real sweet to watch a movie and check emails, surf the web and such.
    Quote Originally Posted by beardedspoooon View Post
    I was mostly being facetious.

For me, webOS on the TouchPad feels closer to a phone OS than Gingerbread on my Droid.

Regardless, it's pretty cool what people are willing to do just to prove it can be done.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    i understand scaling. I own a nook color. I've owned the cheap asian tablets. I own a Streak 7 and Transformer. I know about alternative everything and root and flash just about everything I own. It's not about scaling, it's about how the OS was designed. Gingerbread just doesn't look good on big screens compared to Honeycomb. It just turns big screens into giant phones plain and simple. My Streak 7 is a completely different tablet running Honeycomb compared to Froyo or Gingerbread (both of which share the same issues on a big screen).
    True, but my point is that it is perfectly acceptable to run 2.3 on a tablet after adding an alternate launcher. Of course it's not as nice as an OS designed to run on a tablet, but for what it is, and in the current circumstances, it'll do. When ICS comes out, and assuming it goes open-source, this port should hopefully expedite the process of getting it to run on the TouchPad.
    slbailey1 likes this.
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I think google indicated that would happen in October.
    Build Progress [Updated 9/27]

CyanogenMod - Currently 60% - 70% done to a working port

Build Progress [Updated 9/27]
    sledge007 likes this.
    I'm starting to get antsy. I can't wait for this port if released. Even if it is gingerbread, its a little more useful than webOS. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE webos' interface and multitasking, but my touchpad would get significantly more use while running android. In the mean time, kindle gets the bulk of use and Simply love this device.
    sledge007 likes this.
    I was curious, but I'm no longer expecting this that much. I feel so confortable with webOS and my ubuntu chroot. With a bluetooth keyboard and my touchstone. A developers dream :-)

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    Latest Update Via Tablet Support Forum:
    CyanogenMod - Currently 70% - 80% done to a working port (Doesn't mean final)

What currently works:
    COMPLETE Booting into Android
    COMPLETE ADB commands via ADB
    COMPLETE Touchscreen support (Multi-touch, 10 fingers)
    COMPLETE Power, back/home and volume button layout
    COMPLETE Bluetooth (Fixed 9/24)
    COMPLETE Sound
    COMPLETE Accelerometer
    COMPLETE LED (Confirmed in IRC)
    COMPLETE Backlight (Confirmed in IRC)
    COMPLETE Fake SD card Mount [Fixed 9/26]
    COMPLETE Softkeys
    COMPLETE Vibration
    90% Complete Wifi (Still needs to be fixed for reconnecting to wifi, needs to be verified)
    Partially CPU/GPU Acceleration (Both cores are enabled) (Video drivers need to be worked on)
    Partially Compass (Bugs need to be worked out)

What does not currently work:
    Gyroscope

Whats currently being worked on:
    Fast Switch Boot (Going from webos to android, and vice versa)
    Light Sensor (Works in kernel, needs an interface written for android)
    Power Management (Needs to be adapted to a supported android interface, having trouble with sleep)
    Camera (Has video feedback VIA overlay, can't capture to disk) (Work started 9/23)

Issues:
    Battery does not shut down device at critical battery level
    CPU stays on max frequency
    Sleep Issues for Wifi and Magnetometer
    No root access (Can be fixed easily with set suid - chmod 6755 /bin/su)
    Airplane mode stays on once turned on, happens because the touchpad doesn't have a real radio interface layer.
    Touchstone works and charges, but no event is raised to show you it's charging
    Plugging in headphones does not mute external speakers
    Touchscreen has issues with pinch gestures
    Touchscreen stays on at all times, even when screen is turned off

-Information above compiled by DarkRedFlame from Rootzwiki RootzWiki
    -DarkRedFlame is getting a lot of this information from the Cyanogen development page at cmtouchpad - Android port for HP Touchpad - Google Project Hosting

What is going on at the Cyanogen developement page:
    9/26/2011 - They are working on getting Clockworkmod Recovery running, or at least have got it up with some minor issues. This is a great sign as it is one of the last things to worry about! Recovery is used for flashing custom ROMS, backing up, and resetting devices back to factory defaults mostly
    9/26/2011 - They are trying to get the source information from Qualcomm and HP about the 3 known tablets that shipped with Android and also driver information to expedite Android development. As companies tend to do, they are getting bounced around and are about to take this to the EFF for infractions of GPL (Open source linux stuff. Pretty much they are required to release source code information on request due to their use of open software).
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Oh this sounds promising... (from rootzwiki):

After updating the firmware and framebuffer drivers we should try using HDMI over the USB port. There is definitely support for HDMI in the SoC but the physical pins may NOT be connected.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Oh this sounds promising... (from rootzwiki):
    Woulda been good info to have when all the folks said there was no way the TP had any HDMI capability.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Well, it still may not but we can cross our fingers and hope the pins are hooked up for that.

Sent from my EVO 3D using Tapatalk
    "Fast Switch Boot (Going from webos to android, and vice versa)"

This would be cool if they can get it to instant switch back and forth without having to go through boot process.
    Quote Originally Posted by uh60james View Post
    Well, it still may not but we can cross our fingers and hope the pins are hooked up for that.

Sent from my EVO 3D using Tapatalk
    I'm not looking to run Android anyways, so it's moot unless it being hooked up leads to some webOS hacking to get it to work.

Just makes me wonder what could have been with TouchPad Go, etc if they were already using hardware capable of the feature (even it just needed to be hooked up in future revisions).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    decalex likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    "Fast Switch Boot (Going from webos to android, and vice versa)"

This would be cool if they can get it to instant switch back and forth without having to go through boot process.
    I don't think it would be instant (like changing a tv channel) because they would need to have both os' running at the same time which would cause major slow down.
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    Today they fixed clockwork recovery and root access.

I so wish webOS had something like clockwork (creates images of /system, /data, etc, allows to restore portions or full image)
    DemonHighwayman likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Woulda been good info to have when all the folks said there was no way the TP had any HDMI capability.
    I have HDMI output capability on both of my smartphones, as well as my iPad and Samsung
    Galaxy tablet. Howver, I have never ever used it. Is it really that useful?

If Android for Touchpad comes out and I install it... will HP's backup servers know it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchpaddle View Post
    I have HDMI output capability on both of my smartphones, as well as my iPad and Samsung
    Galaxy tablet. Howver, I have never ever used it. Is it really that useful?

If Android for Touchpad comes out and I install it... will HP's backup servers know it?
    Agreed, I would never use it.

No clue about the HP knowing it, I would guess it all depends on the installation. So this will be based on installation options offered, since it could technically be completely wiped and installation could remove the device from HP connections... then again maybe HP would see that as a warranty violation. Who knows...