Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
Like Tree254Likes
    Have anyone tried porting ChomeOS to the TouchPad?
    The only reason some android phones do not get certain programs IE: Netflix on the evo (at the beginning stages) was because of the digital profile. or, IE evo has a special signed version of honeycomb that sends a profile to the market telling it what phone is requesting the apps. so the store has a chance to block out the app. If the phone is a homebrewed Evo, then it was readily possible to run netflix when it wasnt officially released for the phone. hell the netflix .APK file was available and downloadable to the phone even though the it wasnt in the store at the time. so this same function of a homebrew version of android could manipulate what is shown and what isnt shown. or just buy pass the store completely and download the APK files third party. Another good example is Quake 3, not even close to ever being released on android store, but the .APK is readily available all over the web and works fine even though the store does not show it.
    Why would I want Android on the TouchPad. If anything I'd think it make far more sense to put webOS on some of the ANdroid hardware out there.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    Why would I want Android on the TouchPad. If anything I'd think it make far more sense to put webOS on some of the Android hardware out there.
    Simply as an option. WebOS and TouchPads are FANTASTIC and I speak from experience, but who knows what we'll have in 6-months. I'm also hoping we see a swing of new vigor from webOS users jumping on board buying TP dirt cheap and finding out how cool they really are!

I'm still hopeful, but I also have to be realistic. Sorli...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    Why would I want Android on the TouchPad. If anything I'd think it make far more sense to put webOS on some of the ANdroid hardware out there.
    No.

Because no matter what HP or anyone says, WebOS is dead. Maybe you'll see it on a printer or something but WebOS is no longer a viable OS.

All the dev's and Elvis have left the building. Nobody is going to invest any time or money into WebOS. WebOS Internals will eventually dwindle to just a few individuals who will only partly spend time on WebOS.

Android on the hand is huge, highly popular and widely supported. Switching to Android means access to all the apps that us WebOS users have been waiting for years plus a bunch of ones that we didn't know existed.

A lot of WebOS users right now are going through the grieving process

• DENIAL
    • ANGER
    • BARGAINING
    • DEPRESSION

But they will eventually have to get to the last one which is ACCEPTANCE.
    Amen.
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    No.

Because no matter what HP or anyone says, WebOS is dead. Maybe you'll see it on a printer or something but WebOS is no longer a viable OS.

All the dev's and Elvis have left the building. Nobody is going to invest any time or money into WebOS. WebOS Internals will eventually dwindle to just a few individuals who will only partly spend time on WebOS.

Android on the hand is huge, highly popular and widely supported. Switching to Android means access to all the apps that us WebOS users have been waiting for years plus a bunch of ones that we didn't know existed.

A lot of WebOS users right now are going through the grieving process

• DENIAL
    • ANGER
    • BARGAINING
    • DEPRESSION

But they will eventually have to get to the last one which is ACCEPTANCE.
    I agree that developer support will dwindle, but now seems to be the time for developers to jump on board to get a quick boost of revenue. HP just sold hundreds of thousands of Touchpad units. A majority of them will start getting their units this week. I wish I had some apps ready for the new influx of customers looking for new applications.
    Andorid on the TP is a waste really, you'd not have market access for one. another matter would be just the hassle of doing it, and webOS is quite good for the lacking hardware that is in the case.
    Palm Pre- and BB Tour owner/hater
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph3n View Post
    Andorid on the TP is a waste really, you'd not have market access for one. another matter would be just the hassle of doing it, and webOS is quite good for the lacking hardware that is in the case.
    Could you please explain once Android has been ported over to the TouchPad why you wouldn't have access to the market place?

P.S.
    Far as the "Hassle of doing it" there are already devs working on it and people lined up ready to donate. Go to XDA Devs or browse this thread:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1224540
    Could you please explain once Android has been ported over to the TouchPad why you wouldn't have access to the market place?

P.S.
    Far as the "Hassle of doing it" there are already devs working on it and people lined up ready to donate. Go to XDA Devs or browse this thread:

[Q] Install Android on TouchPad? - xda-developers
    Android market is the Google golden egg, it only goes to certified devices.

Others end up with access to other stores that don't have as much/updated as often.

There is the amazon app store now, so that at least is more attractive.
    Palm Pre- and BB Tour owner/hater
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph3n View Post
    Android market is the Google golden egg, it only goes to certified devices.

Others end up with access to other stores that don't have as much/updated as often.

There is the amazon app store now, so that at least is more attractive.
    All I know is, if you and everyone stuck around this long on WebOS with the pitiful amount of apps available then Android limited or not will seem like an oasis.

Plus let's be honest here the hardware of the TP is pretty close to the EVO 3D and though we know and love WebOS Internals and all their tricks like getting FrankenPre to get access to HP's app catalog. Android has more dedicated capable devs to get stuff like that to work so I'm not gonna give it a second thought.

P.S.

[Q] Install Android on TouchPad? - xda-developers
    Google doesn't allow redistribution of the Market, Gmail, Maps, and a few other apps, except on officially licensed devices. So (legal) open source Android distributions will be missing those. I assume you could still sideload apps or use other app stores (Amazon?)
    saw this on youtube really??
    that would suck if he needs to go to the settings in the app...there seems to be no settings, home, or search key...there was a reason why Honeycomb has those keys as part of the UI. A good thing was they did one of the biggest needs and placed the back key as the physical button of the touchpad.
    Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    we are already talking about the video in the second thread Cantaffordit linked to

Queue the Imperial March music

Last edited by barrysanders20; 08/22/2011 at 08:50 PM.
    I am really looking forward to seeing Honeycomb on it. I would love to dual boot. I need to get my hands on one again. I am really hoping that the next fire sale round includes the 64GB model
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast