Page 19 of 47 FirstFirst ... 9141516171819202122232429 ... LastLast
Like Tree254Likes
    Just to be clear, I'm not saying that Communities isn't worth 4.99, just that the price point made the difference for me (and CGK) between an impulse purchase and one that required further thought. It's those impulse purchases that drive up app sales, and a 5 tag may not be as profitable as a 2 one.
    Will Android on Touchpad allow users to hook up a SD card reader to the USB
    port? (photos, for example)
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchpaddle View Post
    Will Android on Touchpad allow users to hook up a SD card reader to the USB
    port? (photos, for example)
    Doubtful, but that doesn't prevent someone from making an app that will allow you to do just that. A good place to get that going would be XDA Developers Forum.
    I'm now stoked for dual boot as onlive have no webos app and android does :-)
    Wish as many others do though that webs could just run the android stuff as the interface pees all over iOS and i am a long term iPhone/pad user
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by uh60james View Post
    Doubtful, but that doesn't prevent someone from making an app that will allow you to do just that. A good place to get that going would be XDA Developers Forum.
    Actually I think they have already managed to get this working? I've have to check but I'm sure it was mentioned over at rootzwiki.
    I very possibly could be wrong then. The only thing I have seen is somebody got it working on webOS HP TouchPad already has USB host support; webOS 2.2 prepped for SD cards [video] | The #1 HP webOS, TouchPad, Pre, and Veer Community | PreCentral.net. Even if it isn't working yet, surely it won't be hard since we know its capable.
    At least it works in webOS, I use it with a keyboard and a USB to serial adapter using an external powered USB hub*

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    I would imagine this hax been mentioned before ( with me bring new to the touchpad and pre 3), but this was an interesting watch

OpenMobile ACL lets Android apps run on MeeGo, makes the platform a lot more useful - Liliputing

considering they reckon it can be ported to any OS.

I have an android tablet and also an iPad(which is soon to be sold due to being neglected
    since my TP came), I find the TP much more user orientated the android.
    This is from openmobiles website. Notice that webOS is listed under planned for additional OSs. However I would bet this too has gotten the axe along with so many other apps that were in development for webOS when HP made there announcement.

•Available for MeeGoo (ACL4MeeGo)
    •Available for Linux-based OSs (ACL4Linux)
    •Planned for additional OSs (Windows, WebOS, Bada, QNX, Symbian, etc)
    •Provides freedom of choice (processors, hardware, form factors)
    •Designed for OEMs, optimized for Smartphones and Tablets
    but, it shows that it is possible. I would love to be able to run android apps in a card ( bit like the playbooks compatibility with android)
    I agree, that would be pretty nice.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Question was asked in the Engadget comments about webOS, here is the response from what appears to be openmobile

OpenMobile 3 hours ago in reply to EddieDounn
    Eddie, watch for some info on this next week.
    http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/22/o...tibility-with/
    Last edited by jthatch; 09/22/2011 at 07:36 PM. Reason: adding url
    Sounds like OpenMobile's ACL would have to be a feature/program that HP would have to get & package it with future webOS updates. It would solve the app issue, or lack there of, that webOS suffers from. But, truthfully, what is the likelihood they invest in this? I personally would welcome it & HP should see it as a way to better leverage the OS & get consumers. The beauty of webOS with the catalog of android apps, nice thought!
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    Here's a list of the issues they're still working on, to date (the CM7 team port). Getting close

Looking good, thanks for sharing that!
    Quote Originally Posted by decalex View Post
    Here's a list of the issues they're still working on, to date (the CM7 team port). Getting close

Sorry am I missing how this means they are getting close? I see 1 item on that list fixed, or is that supposed to be the only current issues? Slightly different fix log than I am used to working with.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by decalex View Post

#19 on the list, vibrator support... ???

Is this the same as the one on Nokia 6310i/6340i GSM phones for the ladies?
    decalex likes this.
    It's not even about modding. If it ever gets Honeycomb, it's just irrelevant. But again, I don't see the allure to put a small screen phone OS on a nice high res 10" tablet. GB on the Nook is lackluster as it is unless you have low expecations. And if you bought the TP for $150 or less, well then it might just fit with those expectations. If I'm going to port Android, I don't know why I'd use a lesser OS version than what I can get on a tablet for $300 with better connectivity and expandability running 3.2 natively and with mfg support.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotokun View Post
    It will, because like webOS you wont have to use it. CM7 has a set of optional tablet modifications originally written for the Nook Color that move the menu bar to the bottom and add soft buttons for home, menu, back and search. Just use the soft button and problem solved. Its actually visible in the videos that they've posted so far.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    The Android UI scales nicely -- it's not like on a 9" screen, the interface is suddenly jagged, blurry, and/or pixelated. I ran 2.3 on a 10.1" Viewsonic gTablet, and it looked great. Now the phone apps do sometimes scale badly, but they do the same in HC.

Using an alternate launcher (I use LauncherPro on my Transformer), you can add more rows and columns so that you don't have huge areas of empty space between widgets/icons.
    i understand scaling. I own a nook color. I've owned the cheap asian tablets. I own a Streak 7 and Transformer. I know about alternative everything and root and flash just about everything I own. It's not about scaling, it's about how the OS was designed. Gingerbread just doesn't look good on big screens compared to Honeycomb. It just turns big screens into giant phones plain and simple. My Streak 7 is a completely different tablet running Honeycomb compared to Froyo or Gingerbread (both of which share the same issues on a big screen).

So I don't care if I spent $100 or $300. If I'm going to waste time and effort to put Android on it unless it's HC. I want the tablet OS, not a bunch of workarounds to make it work. Besides, I'm not an app wh@re (or just like to complain about a lack of apps). My Transformer collects a lot of dust, and my TP seems to go everywhere.

Most of my apps that even might be remotely unique are on my phone, and I actually prefer working in Docs To Go on my phone over the TF or with QO on the TP. My Epic with the keyboard and cursor keys and always at the ready in my pocket runs circles around any tablet keyboard combo I own. So for web, media, pdf's and such, I'll take the nicer OS over trying to port over GB. Besides, I'd rather see webOS make a comeback, and porting Android over kinda defeats that purpose, IMHO.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.