Page 18 of 47 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718192021222328 ... LastLast
Like Tree254Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchpaddle View Post

While I'm on the subject, how much money are any of you willing to be that a lot of the
    wives/husbands/kids of HP's top executives have iPads at home... and prefer the iPad over
    Touchpads? )
    Well, money being no object, clearly the ipad 2 does a generally better job than the touchpad . Since high end HP execs are probably not terribly limited on cash, it wouldn't surprise me if ipads found their way into their households.

Now, of course, I don't think the ipad 2 is 400-500$ better than a touchpad. That said, if I had a touchpad and an ipad 2 just sitting in front of me for general use, I'd probably grab the ipad 2. It's a more polished experience, runs incredibly snappy and responsively, and is a solid piece of hardware. If we're just talking about general use, web browsing, video watching, gaming, note-taking, etc, there are very few people who could sit here and say truthfully that the touchpad does an all-around better job.

But, once again, that's comparing "apples" and oranges. Given the monetary aspect of things, I'd reach for the touchpad EVERY SINGLE TIME. The ipad is SERIOUSLY overpriced and locked-in piece of hardware. I prefer not to buy an ipad on principle, but if it hit the right pricepoint, well, we all know what happened with the touchpad .
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    Well, money being no object, clearly the ipad 2 does a generally better job than the touchpad . Since high end HP execs are probably not terribly limited on cash, it wouldn't surprise me if ipads found their way into their households.
    oh well... I guess my comment was a moo point anyway.(moo as in a cow's opinion, which
    doesn't mean a whole lot)

20 years ago, I worked at a large Mercedes dealership.(largest not by size of building... they sold the most Mercedes vehicles on the East Coast for 7 straight years) Employees who drove non-Mercedes cars/trucks were only allowed to park on the roof level of the dealership's parking garage. It had no elevators, so I had to walk down the 4 stories of stairs every single day. Those who drove Mercedes to work got to park directly in front the dealership, right by the entrance(next to the customer parking lot). One day I saw the my boss, the sales manager walking towards me as I was getting out of my car on the roof level. I almost freaked out because I thought he was looking for me to tell me that I was fired. Nope... he was just going back to his BMW 850i to get his glasses. (but I ended up getting fired two weeks later after they found out I asked a hot female customer out on a date, which was against company policy... but she became my ex-wife 3 years later )
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    This is really looking very nice, especially when you consider that they haven't started to look at overclocking yet....

surely a beta can't be far off?
    We're getting soooo impatient!
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchpaddle View Post
    if any project deserves a donation, this is it!

instead of buying webOS apps, I think I'll just donate the money to this guy!
    So, basically you're one of the ones that just want webOS to die.
    Way to go, in a webOS forum.

Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    So, basically you're one of the ones that just want webOS to die.
    Way to go, in a webOS forum.

I don't think that's what he's saying. He is being realistic, if nobody buys webOS from HP it is not going to have much life left. Even if it is bought it will take time to see anything new.

I for one like webOS and would love to continue using it if I thought it was going to continue to grow. I do not see that happening and I will be dual booting CM7 and webOS, using both. There are too many things missing and there are bugs that may or may not ever be fixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by uh60james View Post
    I don't think that's what he's saying. He is being realistic, if nobody buys webOS from HP it is not going to have much life left. Even if it is bought it will take time to see anything new.

I for one like webOS and would love to continue using it if I thought it was going to continue to grow. I do not see that happening and I will be dual booting CM7 and webOS, using both. There are too many things missing and there are bugs that may or may not ever be fixed.
    Well, as long as the webOS software division exists, I'll continue supporting my fellow webOS developers.

If I'll ever jump ship, I shall support the other platform developers.

A platform lives or dies thanks to its developers. If you stop supporting them, do you really think they'll keep supporting the platform?

You're just happy because you got a cheap tablet with the hopes of sticking droidOS on it.

This post is just a waste of time.
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    +1
    Well, as long as the webOS software division exists, I'll continue supporting my fellow webOS developers.

If I'll ever jump ship, I shall support the other platform developers.

A platform lives or dies thanks to its developers. If you stop supporting them, do you really think they'll keep supporting the platform?

You're just happy because you got a cheap tablet with the hopes of sticking droidOS on it.

This post is just a waste of time.
    Why did you post then, seriously?

I have bought webOS apps and will continue to do so if there are quality apps that I have use for. I already said I like webOS but it is missing too much in its present state FOR ME. I plan on using both if dual boot is an option and that means buying webOS apps I deem fit (supporting devs.)
    the reason i bought my fire sale touchpad is finally coming closer to being a reality
    ohmytvc15 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaCHooKa Man View Post
    the reason i bought my fire sale touchpad is finally coming closer to being a reality
    (yes, -)
    major payne likes this.
    (yes, -)
    Why are you displacing your anger onto other users? Your anger is really with HP.

Stay classy.
    DeadVim and uh60james like this.
    not to take this off-topic, but since it's now possible to install Android GB on the Touchpad, is there any chance to install iOS on the Touchpad?
    (yes, -)
    I will wager that a majority of people who bought the TouchPad did not do so to install Android, especially considering the fact that the process is likely to not be for the faint of heart. They just wanted a tablet that was discounted by $400. Most will just leave webOS on it, and take it to the crapper with them to surf the web while they ****.

The people who do decide to install Android aren't the ones who killed webOS as a tablet platform.
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I tell you what will help kill WebOS - app prices - way out of line with what similar apps are charging on the other platforms. Someone who has paid 89 for a tablet is not going to pay 5 a time for apps!
    Do you think the TouchPad's embarrassingly flimsy home button will survive Android?
    sorli likes this.
  16. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    good question but then I think to myself that it was only 89 quid so it is no great loss!
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Do you think the TouchPad's embarrassingly flimsy home button will survive Android?
    It will, because like webOS you wont have to use it. CM7 has a set of optional tablet modifications originally written for the Nook Color that move the menu bar to the bottom and add soft buttons for home, menu, back and search. Just use the soft button and problem solved. Its actually visible in the videos that they've posted so far.
    I tell you what will help kill WebOS - app prices - way out of line with what similar apps are charging on the other platforms. Someone who has paid 89 for a tablet is not going to pay 5 a time for apps!
    I must admit I tripped up on this today myself. I was reading about Communities with great interest and went to buy it, but at 4.99 I held off pressing the button. I decided to go away, check which forums I frequent use Tapatalk, wait for some more in-depth user reviews, see some more screenshots, etc.

At 1.99 (or less) that would have been a no-brain impulse purchase.

Spyke
    fsx100 likes this.
  19. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyke View Post
    I must admit I tripped up on this today myself. I was reading about Communities with great interest and went to buy it, but at 4.99 I held off pressing the button. I decided to go away, check which forums I frequent use Tapatalk, wait for some more in-depth user reviews, see some more screenshots, etc.

At 1.99 (or less) that would have been a no-brain impulse purchase.

Spyke
    Well I wasn't going to name names but that was the app that got me thinking about the matter - I already own tapatalk - it costs me 1.60. I saw that communities was available, had a look and saw the price and went away again. I'll just wait for android and use tapatalk on that.
    Well I wasn't going to name names but that was the app that got me thinking about the matter - I already own tapatalk - it costs me 1.60. I saw that communities was available, had a look and saw the price and went away again. I'll just wait for android and use tapatalk on that.
    +1