Page 17 of 47 FirstFirst ... 7121314151617181920212227 ... LastLast
Like Tree254Likes
    So is this worth a try? How To Install Android 2.3.5 Gingerbread On The HP TouchPad | Digital Tweaker
    Anyone know if you can access the app catalog? The ONLY reason I would even attempt this is to use my Slingbox and possibly SiriusXM, especially if I could use/buy those apps. Been struggling along on webOS for over 2 years dreaming of that day. My conundrum is I LOVE WebOS SO MUCH! I just want those two functions, starting with Slingplayer. Sirius works on the TP, but would love a nice app. I might just slap some gingerbread on my "spare" TP and see what happens (I bought me an extra just for something like this ;-) )
    Quote Originally Posted by matteebee13 View Post
    So is this worth a try? How To Install Android 2.3.5 Gingerbread On The HP TouchPad | Digital Tweaker
    Anyone know if you can access the app catalog? The ONLY reason I would even attempt this is to use my Slingbox and possibly SiriusXM, especially if I could use/buy those apps. Been struggling along on webOS for over 2 years dreaming of that day. My conundrum is I LOVE WebOS SO MUCH! I just want those two functions, starting with Slingplayer. Sirius works on the TP, but would love a nice app. I might just slap some gingerbread on my "spare" TP and see what happens (I bought me an extra just for something like this ;-) )
    did u actually read the linked post? first few lines states its risky as hell/can brick it, no wifi works and not a lot does its suggested for dev use only atm.
    Thanks, no I didn't see that part. No wifi is a dealbreaker duh! I don't have any reason to try it until then and only then because of Slingbox. Crossing my fingers for a Splashtop TP app soon cuz it's my only other option to watch a cablebox located in Chicago at this point. (I am a fiend for Da Bears)
    I've been waiting for the android for a while like everyone else, but webOS has been growing on me. Just some more apps, better PDF reader, speed improvements and netflix and I'll stick with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    Maybe you are just use to waiting for things to load and lag as a WebOS user. I find it slow and I did all those patches and overclocks. I have to wait almost 10 seconds for a crappy pdf reader just to load. My netbook would load adobe acrobat in a second and don't talk about Quickoffice.

I have the Evo 3D and I thought I could use the touchpad for some books that I have. I was wrong since the one ereader does not work with them but the same books load fine on the evo using the reader that it came with.

Even some of the comments on youtube are wondering how Android runs so much faster than WebOS on the touchpad. With webOS on the touchpad I find the device useless.
    You are right in every aspect, but it sounds too harsh even for me . But, it's not your fault, its a simple and plain truth. I was trying to grab one TP at firesale price, and when I missed it, I simply bought Ipad2. I couldn't justified paying for TP more than $99-$150 mainly because performance issue, and not because design flaws. It's so underperforming that no patch can save it.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    You are right in every aspect, but it sounds too harsh even for me . But, it's not your fault, its a simple and plain truth. I was trying to grab one TP at firesale price, and when I missed it, I simply bought Ipad2. I couldn't justified paying for TP more than $99-$150 mainly because performance issue, and not because design flaws. It's so underperforming that no patch can save it.
    I respect your opinion but that statement you made about performance is simply not true. If you have installed the latest update performance patches and or kernel and your touchpad is still sluggish, you should contact HP for a replacement. With the update and patches installed I don't even need to overclock. Performance is on par with my Evo 3d, I have no lag on either device. I have about 35-40 apps and about 20 patches installed on the touchpad.
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    If you have installed the latest update performance patches and or kernel and your touchpad is still sluggish, you should contact HP for a replacement.
    Sure are a lot of faulty units out - Mine must also be faulty!

Going back to android - there is another video update being released today - both cores working?
    Last edited by CGK; 09/19/2011 at 03:48 AM.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Sure are a lot of faulty units out - Mine must also be faulty!

Going back to android - there is another video update being released today - both cores working?
    I'm awaiting that with a little more anticipation than the next Quickoffice patch it has to be said ...
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Yep the video is up and things are looking really good.

10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamex View Post
    Yep the video is up and things are looking really good.

This is really looking very nice, especially when you consider that they haven't started to look at overclocking yet....

surely a beta can't be far off?
    Woah...

That looks -beautiful-.

Accelerated video, wifi, touchscreen, sound is working, both cores, 3d gaming. Yeah, I'd say we're going to have a full release very soon.

And I've gotta say, that looks extremely usable. Better than I was expecting. Extremely fast and responsive. I'm in 100% soon as it hits.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    DemonHighwayman likes this.
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    Woah...

That looks -beautiful-.

Accelerated video, wifi, touchscreen, sound is working, both cores, 3d gaming. Yeah, I'd say we're going to have a full release very soon.

And I've gotta say, that looks extremely usable. Better than I was expecting. Extremely fast and responsive. I'm in 100% soon as it hits.
    I was going to hold on for ICS because obviously that is designed for tablets but.... my will is weak...
    I was going to hold on for ICS because obviously that is designed for tablets but.... my will is weak...
    Honestly, I find myself saying the same thing.

That just plain looks good. Great even. I don't care if it's gingerbread or peanutbutterandpickles, it's working beautifully as far as I can see.

And with ICS just around the corner things can only improve from there. When this hits primetime in a few days I'll be cramming it into my touchpad so fast it'll make the little HP logo spin.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    I think Android with the CM7 tweaks will be very usable. Using webOS on the TouchPad really isn't that much different than on my wife's Palm Pixi (aside from the improved performance). Given that webOS has so few TouchPad optimized apps, there won't be much that anyone (people interested in Android) will be missing.

Main problem that I see is that the notification bar isn't active on some of those games (so no way to access menus, or back out of a menu).

I'm hoping that, however it's done, it'll be easily undone for when ICS comes around.
    (in response to someone talking about how you can "fix" your slow touchpad and how it must be faulty if the patches/kernel didn't fix it): Sure are a lot of faulty units out - Mine must also be faulty!
    Ditto on this.

You -can- make the touchpad reasonably responsive, but even clocked @ 1.8ghz with dual cores running full-time and every single patch in existence trying to speed it up, it's performance is slower than, say, an ipad 2 running a meagre 1 ghz. It's laughably slower at even the most basic operations, with websites taking dozens of seconds longer to load, for example.

Point being, webOS is absolutely hobbling the performance of this device. We can sugar coat it all we want - but the truth is right there. WebOS is a performance failure. Even when it is performing adequately, it does so many little annoying things wrong. Reading text on a website is annoying when you constantly have the oddball text rendering bug garbling up the lines for example, or the -stupid- rubber banding effect you get while you're trying to scroll down a page as another big annoyance.

Which isn't to say that I'm not willing to accept that. At 100$ this is one of the most amazing pieces of hardware I've ever bought, and I can wait an extra 15 seconds for a website to load or do a quick zoom out/in to re-draw text on a page... But... Give me the option to cram a stupid-fast and responsive OS with proper browser rendering and a crazy robust app catalog onto the device?

WebOS is nice, it's abilities are cool, it's controls are intuitive, and I'll still abandon it in a heartbeat if the right OS comes along. At the very least, I'd be dual booting something like this in order to take advantage of it's strengths. WebOS is great for casual use, but as a power user, I see great advantage to having android on the device .

fsx100 likes this.
  16. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beardedspoooon View Post
    I think Android with the CM7 tweaks will be very usable. Using webOS on the TouchPad really isn't that much different than on my wife's Palm Pixi (aside from the improved performance). Given that webOS has so few TouchPad optimized apps, there won't be much that anyone (people interested in Android) will be missing.

Main problem that I see is that the notification bar isn't active on some of those games (so no way to access menus, or back out of a menu).

I'm hoping that, however it's done, it'll be easily undone for when ICS comes around.
    Well the work done here with GB and getting it to run on the TP should mean that a workable version of ICS should turn up pretty quickly once the source is released. At the moment, even with the problems, access to a decent PDF reader and evernote would be great for me.

ICS should be really interesting from a tablet perspective - I understand it has improved multi-tasking (how I'm not sure?) and also because it's the same OS for tablets and phone and it is easier to develop apps for both, we should see the number of apps with tablet versions rocket.

WebOS is nice, it's abilities are cool, it's controls are intuitive, and I'll still abandon it in a heartbeat if the right OS comes along. At the very least, I'd be dual booting something like this in order to take advantage of it's strengths. WebOS is great for casual use, but as a power user, I see great advantage to having android on the device .
    Right - this is the situation I am in - as a concept and as a GUI, I perfer WebOS hands down over android - there is no question in my mind that it's better. However this is the rub - I don't really care.

The reason I don't care is that switching between cards is cool but that's only a small part of the reason for having a tablet - often I want to do the same task for 30 minutes or an 1 hour and then the problems start. A big part of what I do involves reading PDFs and the only PDF reader on webOS is so poor that it's too painful to do for any period of time - card-switching and multi-tasking doesn't help when I can't actually perform the task I need to do.
    Last edited by CGK; 09/20/2011 at 06:12 AM.
    Right - this is the situation I am in - as a concept and as a GUI, I perfer WebOS hands down over android - there is no question in my mind that it's better. However this is the rub - I don't really care.
    I honestly couldn't have said it better myself.

For all my love of webOS, it just doesn't do some critical tasks well. PDF viewing is one of them, but even simple tasks like document editing are a real bear on the device. For example, it's unacceptable that the premier "document editing" software on the device (quickoffice) likes to occasionally and without warning refuse to save a file you are working on. I've lost -pages- of writing to that stupid bug and as a result I can't use quickoffice. In turn, I'm forced to use google docs through the webbrowser, and it's NOT as streamlined a process as I'd like.

I'll miss the ease of use, but when all I really want to do is surf a forum without crazy rubber-band effect, garbled and misdisplayed text, and constant refreshing required - webOS isn't providing that experience and likely never will (thanks HP). I'd be happy and live with this for the duration of my ownership if need be thanks to the stupid-good pricing on this thing, but thanks to the coming android points, I don't NEED to.

Two weeks ago they said touchstone support was low priority but something they'd get around to eventually. Hopefully that's now a bit higher up on the things to do list.
    Point being, webOS is absolutely hobbling the performance of this device. We can sugar coat it all we want - but the truth is right there. WebOS is a performance failure. Even when it is performing adequately, it does so many little annoying things wrong. Reading text on a website is annoying when you constantly have the oddball text rendering bug garbling up the lines for example, or the -stupid- rubber banding effect you get while you're trying to scroll down a page as another big annoyance.
    Perhaps HP's CEO thought the same. He took a Touchpad home and compared it to his kid's
    iPad 2 and thought "oh *****, our own Touchpad is total nonsense... I better kill it tomorrow)
    Someone should send the CEO link to those YouTube videos posted by www.cyanogenmod.com

While I'm on the subject, how much money are any of you willing to be that a lot of the
    wives/husbands/kids of HP's top executives have iPads at home... and prefer the iPad over
    Touchpads? )
    This is really looking very nice, especially when you consider that they haven't started to look at overclocking yet....

surely a beta can't be far off?
    if any project deserves a donation, this is it!

instead of buying webOS apps, I think I'll just donate the money to this guy!