Page 14 of 47 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617181924 ... LastLast
Like Tree254Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    No, I'm not happy and you are wrong

This is all part of TouchPad "globalization" and webOS community is now facing porting phenomena other communities have seen long time ago. Precentral can create separate TouchPad porting sub-forum and keep users here, or they can decide to keep this place webOS only, and redirect Android development to other forums. It's up to them. But its rude to bash people because they want to port Android to a device they own and they are discussing their efforts in forums related to this device, while owners of this place haven't made decision about this kind of posts.

Also, I've stated how porting can result with good things for webOS loyalists, and this is a fact. Now, much more people is digging inside TP than two weeks ago when only a bunch of early adopter bought this thing.
    Um... you're describing exactly what I am proposing: do it in the appropriate forum. Androidcentral and precentral are both part of the same company, so it's not like they are sending people to the competitions. And, I said nothing about bashing people for wanting to post about wanting Android ported either. Again, just do it in the appropriate forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    And, I said nothing about bashing people for wanting to post about wanting Android ported either. Again, just do it in the appropriate forum.
    It was based on general negative reactions here, not on your posts. Sorry because I was not clear about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    Which is why these types of post belong over in http://forums.androidcentral.com/ so that people who want Android can talk about Android, and people who want webOS can talk about webOS here.

Imagine how it would be if the reverse was in play... webOS is widely adopted and Android isn't. There's a cheap firesale of Android hardware, and a bunch of new people are all over the Android forums all excited about replacing the crappy Android with the awesome webOS on that cheap Android hardware.

Or, how about a bunch of people move into your neighborhood, buy up all the cheap homes, and then come over to your house to constantly talk about how they can't wait to tear down all the homes and replace them with some other, much better homes.

Sure, they're please to do so as since they paid for it. I don't really care. Just stop coming over to my house and telling me about it. Go talk about it with your friends, over at your own homes. I'm not interested in hearing about it. Is that so difficult to do?

There. Happy?
    Well, being for a long time on talk.maemo.org I can tell you that. Even though Maemo linux is main OS on the tablets/phones on that forum, people still talk about and welcome every attempt at putting something new on them(particularly on N900). We have projects working on porting android(nitdroid), meego community edition, kubuntu mobile, easy debian chroot, and I even see discussion on porting webos to it. So, even though webos is excellent system, absolutely no one will suffer from having alternative options on their devices.
    And sending touchpad owners to android central to talk all things android is not correct, since they are touchpad/webos users and owners and precentral is logical place for them to come and share their thoughts. Alternative OS section on this forum would be nice to have.
    When I bought my Maemo-linux powered N900, its future was doomed.
    When I bought my WebOS powered Touchpad, its future was uncertain.
    IAmA multitasking necrophile!
    Quote Originally Posted by copasetic View Post
    Who'd want to ruin a perfectly good TouchPad by putting Android on it?

I wonder if we could Port WebOS to another tablet...not at that price of course, but still, lol
    the same people who only uses Windows OS on a Mackbook?
    Quote Originally Posted by arcticrobot View Post
    Well, being for a long time on talk.maemo.org I can tell you that. Even though Maemo linux is main OS on the tablets/phones on that forum, people still talk about and welcome every attempt at putting something new on them(particularly on N900). We have projects working on porting android(nitdroid), meego community edition, kubuntu mobile, easy debian chroot, and I even see discussion on porting webos to it. So, even though webos is excellent system, absolutely no one will suffer from having alternative options on their devices.
    And sending touchpad owners to android central to talk all things android is not correct, since they are touchpad/webos users and owners and precentral is logical place for them to come and share their thoughts. Alternative OS section on this forum would be nice to have.
    The people that want make the TP better overall is welcome but few. The majority just bash the TP and the OS.

I agree with having an alternate OS section instead of junking up the section that could help TP and WebOS users.
    At my local Walmart, there is still a touchpad on display. It's the only one that is still running/survived the public next to 4 different Android based tablets. Even though my pre is outdated, I still love WebOS...you just gotta learn to love it.
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    hell id love honeycomb dual booting but my question is, one reason I don't buy into android is it's diversity. What would it support as far as apps? From what I hear there are many apps missing depending on the device so I'm curious how that would work for us. I think they have Netflix if so, someone please port it! I want Netflix splashtop and doc editing and this purchase will be even more worth it lol. Get to porting us some honeycomb you smarter devs then me!
    I doubt they'll get it to Honeycomb.. and I don't think we'd want it on there, really. The next iteration, ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich) is supposed to drop in October/November, and is supposed to solve a lot of the fragmentation troubles. There's a reason google didn't release the honeycomb source.

So hopefully they'll get Gingerbread, then later on ICS. It'll support any app on the google marketplace.. and that prob won't be an issue in the next 6 months (hopefully).

btw, on XDA, I get the same ppl posting "what does this have to do with android?".. lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by arcticrobot View Post
    Alternative OS section on this forum would be nice to have.
    Agreed. Getting completely sick of BOTH sides bickering about this. Is there anyway a post can be made asking for peoples votes about getting a subsection ? then have whoever runs the site to make it.
    Anyone that has been keeping up on the whole getting android on the touchpad probably know that team touchdroid put up a video of it working. This chat is from their IRC between a couple of their members. As you can clearly see, they are stealing code from CM and then calling it their own.

Dirty Tactics, Community just stick with CM now! - xda-developers

[09/06/2011 -:- 03:57:31 AM] rhcp[linux]: i hope it works
    [09/06/2011 -:- 03:57:35 AM] rhcp[linux]: so we can get a video up
    [09/06/2011 -:- 03:57:39 AM] rhcp[linux]: and ****ing pwn cm

[09/06/2011 -:- 05:58:07 AM] rhcp[linux]: btw
    [09/06/2011 -:- 05:58:13 AM] rhcp[linux]: I got a friend in webos-internals
    [09/06/2011 -:- 05:58:15 AM] rhcp[linux]: working on wifi
    [09/06/2011 -:- 05:58:30 AM] rhcp[linux]: his best friend ka60x or however you spell his nick. works with him at work
    [09/06/2011 -:- 05:58:31 AM] Pulser:
    [09/06/2011 -:- 05:58:33 AM] rhcp[linux]: and hes part CM
    [09/06/2011 -:- 05:58:38 AM] rhcp[linux]: hes willing to share info

[09/06/2011 -:- 06:25:39 AM] rhcp[linux]: https://twitter.com/#!/HPTouchDroid/...52330144772096
    [09/06/2011 -:- 06:25:41 AM] rhcp[linux]: heheh
    [09/06/2011 -:- 06:27:41 AM] Flemmard: needs some rewriting not to look like this code
    [09/06/2011 -:- 06:27:42 AM] Flemmard: lol
    [09/06/2011 -:- 06:28:11 AM] rhcp[linux]: get it
    [09/06/2011 -:- 06:28:14 AM] rhcp[linux]: when i wake up multi
    [09/06/2011 -:- 06:28:15 AM] rhcp[linux]:
    [09/06/2011 -:- 06:28:20 AM] rhcp[linux]: lets ****ing KICK cm's ***
    [09/06/2011 -:- 06:28:22 AM] rhcp[linux]: :P
    [09/06/2011 -:- 06:28:25 AM] rhcp[linux]: with their own code
    [09/06/2011 -:- 06:28:26 AM] rhcp[linux]: LOL
    [09/06/2011 -:- 06:28:35 AM] Flemmard: XD
    [09/06/2011 -:- 06:28:37 AM] Flemmard: yea
    [09/06/2011 -:- 06:29:01 AM] rhcp[linux]: in theory if tmzt didnt say ****
    [09/06/2011 -:- 06:29:06 AM] rhcp[linux]: we could claim they stole it from us

Wow... Just wow. I am not snipping out ALL the good parts, but umm, if this isn't enough evidence that they need to be shunned, I don't know what is.

[09/06/2011 -:- 01:40:20 PM] rhcp[linux]: Flemmard, tbh, I wouldnt give them ****
    [09/06/2011 -:- 01:40:26 PM] rhcp[linux]: they were stupid enough to pastebin it public
    [09/06/2011 -:- 01:40:27 PM] rhcp[linux]: :P
    [09/06/2011 -:- 01:40:35 PM] rhcp[linux]: they never gave us anthing
    [09/06/2011 -:- 01:40:39 PM] fnj00: seriously tho Flemmard, GOOD ****ING JOB
    [09/06/2011 -:- 01:40:40 PM] hazy|work: rhcp, they still own it
    [09/06/2011 -:- 01:40:42 PM] rhcp[linux]: but BS backtalk
    [09/06/2011 -:- 01:40:44 PM] Flemmard:
    [09/06/2011 -:- 01:40:50 PM] fnj00: that **** was fluid and tracked all 10 fingers no issues
    [09/06/2011 -:- 01:40:53 PM] hazy|work: copyright on IP is applied at the time of writing
    [09/06/2011 -:- 01:40:56 PM] rhcp[linux]: hazy|work, they own nothing without a Lic
    [09/06/2011 -:- 01:40:57 PM] rhcp[linux]:
    [09/06/2011 -:- 01:41:07 PM] rhcp[linux]: and try to prove it was used
    [09/06/2011 -:- 01:41:09 PM] rhcp[linux]: what a chatlog?
    [09/06/2011 -:- 01:41:11 PM] rhcp[linux]: lol
    [09/06/2011 -:- 01:41:18 PM] hazy|work: rhcp, yes they do own it without a licence
    [09/06/2011 -:- 01:41:27 PM] rhcp[linux]: maybe they do. but what can they do
    [09/06/2011 -:- 01:41:28 PM] rhcp[linux]: 0
    [09/06/2011 -:- 01:41:51 PM] rhcp[linux]: anon pastebin
    [09/06/2011 -:- 01:41:52 PM] rhcp[linux]: no names
    [09/06/2011 -:- 01:41:57 PM] rhcp[linux]: i can say i wrote it
    [09/06/2011 -:- 01:42:00 PM] rhcp[linux]: prove me wrong
    So?

I don't give two spits where the code comes from as long as it finds it's way to my device.
    There's another chat log up on rootzwiki also. Basically digging their own grave.

The reason why it matters is people are donating money to people that are just taking someone elses code. There's also that bounty out there.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Andrew025; 09/08/2011 at 07:04 AM.
    Nvm

Yeah, I gave TouchDroid $20, and in the whole early meltdown it supposedly went to buy TPs for a competing team, but as long as it went to development by SOMEONE I don't care.

If it wasn't for stealing code, none of us would be here right now. The whole PC explosion started with Gates stealing MS-Dos 2.0. (ok, he didn't REALLY steal it, he just sold it to IBM before he owned it) Dell then reverse engineered BIOS and before you knew it everyone was building a PC.

Look around, Apple is suing Samsung & HTC, HTC is suing Apple, RIM was sued by Dolby, and Kodak along with Apple, and everyone but my grandma has sued MS. It's just how crap gets done in this industry.

Again, as long as they (TouchDroid, CM, anyone) gets a stable ROM to my machine I don't care if it came from aliens.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TouchDroid? View Post
    So?

I don't give two spits where the code comes from as long as it finds it's way to my device.
    Pure ignorance. If you worked hours and hours to develop something and then somebody else steals it from you, wouldnt you be ****ed? That is somebody elses work and they are saying they made it.
    This is completely different then current patent litigations. Patents on ideals such as multi touch are just ****. If they used the exact same code, then i could understand it. But saying that we did multi touch first so nobody else can is just lame. Anyways, this isnt the topic that we are discussing.
    Well, considering that you're going to want to use your TouchPad with Android (checking emails, buying stuff, etc.), you're probably going to want to stick with someone you can trust.

As far as proof of concept goes, it doesn't really matter to me who does it first. As far as actually trusting a rom on my device, I'll be sticking with CM.
    It is like the patent litigation, as that in the end, it's a handful of lines out of hundreds of thousands, and where exactly did CM get it from? They didn't invent multi-touch. They used someone else's code as template and tweaked it to get it to run on this particular piece of hardware.

But hey, I'm not here to fight, and I'm sure the Mods being devoted Webos enthusiast have already heard more about Android in the past few weeks than they can stomach, and I want to stay on their good sides.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TouchDroid? View Post
    It is like the patent litigation, as that in the end, it's a handful of lines out of hundreds of thousands, and where exactly did CM get it from? They didn't invent multi-touch. They used someone else's code as template and tweaked it to get it to run on this particular piece of hardware.

But hey, I'm not here to fight, and I'm sure the Mods being devoted Webos enthusiast have already heard more about Android in the past few weeks than they can stomach, and I want to stay on their good sides.
    Yes, they didn't hand write the entire code, but they also didn't take it from another development team and then try to claim it as their own.
    Just because they didn't invent multitouch doesn't mean it's ok for their code that they worked on to make work on the touchpad can be stolen and claimed as someone elses.
    There is a difference between borrowing code that us widely used(I do it all the time and so do others, and they freely admit it) and stealing it and trying to claim as your own.

Semi working Alpha version of Android for the masses hits Touchpad

Semi-working build of 2.3.5 on the HP TouchPad - DUMP / Instructions

Be warned. It's from the Touchdroid group. Not a lot works. You may want to wait for a CyanogenMod team version.
    Amazing news!

Quote Originally Posted by barrysanders20 View Post
    Semi working Alpha version of Android for the masses hits Touchpad

Semi-working build of 2.3.5 on the HP TouchPad - DUMP / Instructions

Be warned. It's from the Touchdroid group. Not a lot works. You may want to wait for a CyanogenMod team version.