Page 12 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast
Like Tree254Likes
    I've got nothing against Android, my girlfriend has one, thanks to me.....almost as ridiculous as the How to make an Android App app in the catalog or the other one Android Rooting.....really? That should be in Marketplace, not App Catalog.

If Android is going to be able to be installed on a TouchPad that's fine, do what you want with it. It makes more sense to me that you access Marketplace from the Android partition, to find these "apps".
    I like it. Considering I bought it on launch, I'll be the first to say I did.
    Quote Originally Posted by moasis View Post
    Seriously. How many people bought this tablet in hopes of keeping WEBOS?
    I never figured they would port android to the touchpad, so yes I bought it hopes of keeping WEBOS.
    Seriously. How many people bought this tablet in hopes of keeping WEBOS?
    How many people bought this tablet because it was originally a $400-500, quality tablet that could be used to surf the web and check email, not caring one iota what OS was on it?
    fsx100 likes this.
    I care! WEBOS is getting on my nerves. You know why I love Android........because I ask myself about once a week "I wonder if Android can do this" and 9 times out of 10 it can. With WEBOS, there is no reason asking cause it probably can't.
    Then it makes sense to just go and buy an Android tablet.
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    bluenote likes this.
    Mods please move this to the nether regions of the other tablets forum where it belongs.
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    I purchased the TP purely for webOS. I have no interest in any other OS. Why would I buy a TP just to add another OS? Can't they make their own hardware?
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberdalek View Post
    How many people bought this tablet because it was originally a $400-500, quality tablet that could be used to surf the web and check email, not caring one iota what OS was on it?
    That would include me and my best guess would be >90% of the firesale purchasers.
    What is it that people want Android for?

I have been an Android user for over a year and love it. I would not choose another phone OS and was on the verge of buying an Android tablet. The firesale TP is my first exposure to this OS so I am not a longtime WebOS ******.

I just want to know why people are so rabid to get Android on the TP. Is it the apps, the UI or just because we can?
    What is it that people want Android for?

I have been an Android user for over a year and love it. I would not choose another phone OS and was on the verge of buying an Android tablet. The firesale TP is my first exposure to this OS so I am not a longtime WebOS ******.

I just want to know why people are so rabid to get Android on the TP. Is it the apps, the UI or just because we can?
    Some of all of that. I'm happy with the TouchPad as is (for the price, it can't be beat, regardless of it's numerous issues, possible lack of support, etc.) Now, if they can port Android to it, I'm all over it (to tinker around, etc.) Not to mention the many apps available.

Dual boot would be preferable for me, as it seems less dangerous. I bought this hoping for an Android port but would be satisfied without.
    Quote Originally Posted by rghilliard View Post
    That would include me and my best guess would be >90% of the firesale purchasers.
    That was me also. I also liked the demo I played with before the firesale. Easy to use and a nice screen but could not justify it over an Android or IPad for the same price. For me it was all about the apps at that price.
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    I care! WEBOS is getting on my nerves. You know why I love Android........because I ask myself about once a week "I wonder if Android can do this" and 9 times out of 10 it can. With WEBOS, there is no reason asking cause it probably can't.
    I can help people like you easy steps:

1 stop posting on the touchpad forums
    2 for 200 to 300 dollars it will be fixed
    A sell tp on ebay (175)
    B Buy a galaxy tab, Acer tablet or iPad
    3 Happy person with android or iOS

4 Very happy Hp touchpad pre central members
    A Whiner gone
    B We can focus on one of the best OS's out there just needs dev's and a
    little work. ;-)

Now follow this and we all win!
    I'm not here to criticize the Touchpad but to learn how to make it better.
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieDFW View Post
    I purchased the TP purely for webOS. I have no interest in any other OS. Why would I buy a TP just to add another OS? Can't they make their own hardware?
    Funny thing is... I didn't stop hearing about what crap the Touchpad hardware was. Too fat, too plastic, no SD slot, no dual cameras, blah, blah, blah.

Now you can't get the MINORITY of people who bought it hoping to add Android to it (and not even the latest version) to stop talking about how they hope to get one.

I hope HP sells to people with an active Palm profile FIRST, and then to everyone else.

C
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rghilliard View Post
    Well its estimated 900,000 tablets were sold

5% to 10% are able to fool with or care to play with tweaks or programing

so at best 90,000 will even put preware on it

I would say maybe 20,000 of that will even care to port some kind of buggy android to it

webOS is awesome once patched updated

I wonder how many whiners even did the patches and updates right?:-P
    I'm not here to criticize the Touchpad but to learn how to make it better.
    Well not I. I didn't try to get one of these things until I heard Android was being ported. For 99 dollars yes it's a web-browser and media player but not much beyond that.
    ......just like a an android tablet but without the task killers and clunky interface. My apologies Matais but Honeycomb is your low point.
    ariker01 likes this.
    With most tech and gadgets there are different types of consumers the main being users and hobbists, techies. These and others make the world go round.

I like webOS and bought a TP at launch. If I can get another cheap one I will, I may even put Andriod on one just to try it out, just to play with it and compare. I've used IOS devices but you never really know you have the right device system for you until you have truly tried others.

Let face it guys no one OS is the best they are different, people are different and different things suit different people, but unless you try how do you know?

The lower price gives options, that's not a bad thing.
    Well not I. I didn't try to get one of these things until I heard Android was being ported. For 99 dollars yes it's a web-browser and media player but not much beyond that.
    What else is a tablet supposed to be? Maybe with the million new users webOS can get Pentrist or some other "productive" app.

If you want a machine for producing content buy a laptop.

More well known apps would be great but count on your current device how many of the hundreds of thousands of available apps you actually use on a daily basis. I bet that WebOS has an app that is similar.

Facebook-yes
    Twitter-yes
    News-Yes
    Games-yes
    Music-yes
    Quote Originally Posted by mc_wardy View Post
    With most tech and gadgets there are different types of consumers the main being users and hobbists, techies. These and others make the world go round.

I like webOS and bought a TP at launch. If I can get another cheap one I will, I may even put Andriod on one just to try it out, just to play with it and compare. I've used IOS devices but you never really know you have the right device system for you until you have truly tried others.

Let face it guys no one OS is the best they are different, people are different and different things suit different people, but unless you try how do you know?

The lower price gives options, that's not a bad thing.
    Not enough with this attitude, too much FUD going around.
    DemonHighwayman likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by drfp View Post
    I can help people like you easy steps:

1 stop posting on the touchpad forums
    2 for 200 to 300 dollars it will be fixed
    A sell tp on ebay (175)
    B Buy a galaxy tab, Acer tablet or iPad
    3 Happy person with android or iOS

4 Very happy Hp touchpad pre central members
    A Whiner gone
    B We can focus on one of the best OS's out there just needs dev's and a
    little work. ;-)

Now follow this and we all win!
    4B isn't going to happen! I'm a developer and I wouldn't bother learning a language that I knew was dead. I think a lot of you have the WEBOS 3.xxx and 2.xx confused. I'm sure it was cool on your Pre or Pixi or whatever but on a tablet, it's not cutting it. No argument there. I'm not whining about WEBOS because I gave up on it 3 days in and realized it is what it is.
    What else is a tablet supposed to be? Maybe with the million new users webOS can get Pentrist or some other "productive" app.

If you want a machine for producing content buy a laptop.

More well known apps would be great but count on your current device how many of the hundreds of thousands of available apps you actually use on a daily basis. I bet that WebOS has an app that is similar.

Facebook-yes
    Twitter-yes
    News-Yes
    Games-yes
    Music-yes
    Cool. You like what you like. I like Android you like webOS.