Page 10 of 47 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 929
Like Tree254Likes
  1. #181  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudementry View Post
    Anyway, sorry that rant was kind of random, what I'm trying to say is I'd like Android on my tablet for 2 reasons, firstly for the speed boost, and secondly for the ad hoc tethering ability. My tablet is only useful to me if I have internet, and there isn't much reason to use it at home where I have my nice shiny i7 2600k desktop I built with a 1080p screen. But if I can't tether to my phone out and about then the only place I can use it is at home.
    Maybe I am missing something, why do you need android on the tablet for it to tether with your phone? Tethering would be a function of the phone/service provider and not dependent on the OS of the TouchPad.

    My apologies if I am misunderstanding what you are trying to say.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  2. #182  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Maybe I am missing something, why do you need android on the tablet for it to tether with your phone? Tethering would be a function of the phone/service provider and not dependent on the OS of the TouchPad.

    My apologies if I am misunderstanding what you are trying to say.
    WebOS currently does not support ad hoc tethering, it used to but it was disabled due to some security issue (from what I have learned from the forums).

    My phone can only create an ad hoc tethering hotspot. Unless of course I was to pay $30 a month to Sprint for their tethering service, but I'm definitely in no position to be able to afford that.

    So yes, Android would allow me to tether with my phone, as my phone does not support infrastructure tethering at the moment, and if it did, I would be billed by Sprint.
    KarlBart likes this.
  3. #183  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post

    Imagine if instead of patching the closed source webOS, webOS Internals could completely re-write it as a whole new ROM. That is what Cyanogen is able to do with Android because Android is open source.
    question: how would "webOS Internals completely re-write it as a whole new ROM", without infringing on the patents? are you saying webOS internals should rewite "luna" or write an entirely new OS?
  4. #184  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    No, but wouldn't you like document editing?!? BTW, it has quietly gone unnoticed here on P|C but last week Richard Kerris said document editing would be here "This week".

    HP misses yet another date...sheesh, they can't do anything right.

    lol
  5. #185  
    IMO, it comes down to personal preference. I'm new to webOS, and I actually quite like it so I dont have a reason to currently switch. If anything, dual boot would be perfect long term....
  6. #186  
    Quote Originally Posted by advocate2 View Post
    I'll gladly stay with WebOS IF programs I consider essential are ported over. Tapatalk is coming as "Communities" and I have written Aldiko which is needed to read DRM protected library ebooks. I must have an app to edit MS Office docs. This might be coming but there is skepticism in the forums.

    I'd like to have Thumb Keyboard and Random Mahjong, but can live without them.

    Netflix and Slingplayer would be nice as well, but would not justify a root of my Tpad.

    It would be great if the Top 50 Android and Ipad apps were available on WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    No, but wouldn't you like document editing?!? BTW, it has quietly gone unnoticed here on P|C but last week Richard Kerris said document editing would be here "This week".

    HP misses yet another date...sheesh, they can't do anything right.
    Actually, QuickOffice HD doc editing is out, see it here:

    QuickOffice HD document editing now on your HP TouchPad | The #1 HP webOS, TouchPad, Pre, and Veer Community | PreCentral.net
    http://forums.webosnation.com/members/stargate-albums-my-pre-picture960-moving-pre.gif
  7. #187  
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    question: how would "webOS Internals completely re-write it as a whole new ROM", without infringing on the patents? are you saying webOS internals should rewite "luna" or write an entirely new OS?
    Because Android is open source, developers can add the best options in every core app and release it as a new "ROM". Imagine if webOS Internals were allowed to fix every problem and add every option all at once and release it as the "WOSI Doctor". That is what a ROM is.

    Similarly instead of patching an app like the music app, Android developers take the stock music app, add whatever options they want, and just release it as a regular market app. Remember Dan trying to do that with Music Player Remix and the nightmare Palm put him through because webOS is closed source?

    If that had been open source like Android, Dan would have made the fixes and released it as an app without fighting for months for a special exemption.

    Imagine if hundreds of our best patches were added as options. The downside is that is a lot to set up initially but when you are done it works just the way you want. That's the power of open source.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 08/29/2011 at 06:16 PM.
  8. #188  
    I agree with some of the above - WebOS makes the TP what it is, but since HP is waffling, the future is unclear for the platform and mostly because WebOS does not have the networking and email security options required to get me on my corporate network, I'd vote for an Android load (my wife paid full retail for my TP so it's not like I can just kick it to the curb and get an iPad-2)
  9. #189  
    pe4rsonally I fall into the group that doesn't like android, but also would appreciate and use a dual boot honeycomb or ice cream sandwhich configuration. I don't at all see gingerbread as a tablet OS though I can appreciate the work and hope it someday turns into an actually android tablet os that dual boots. If I wanted a huge phone os I would have just kept my ipad lol.

    However this is in no way a flam, as a matter of fact I look forward to honeycomb dual booting so that I can truly have a versatile device. It would give me choice! And choice is always good.

    To be fair to android though, the reason I do not like it is its just a cluncky OS especially in base form. It is generally unatractive, pim functions are not really its strong point and its not as intuitive as other oses. Also the experience varies too much to really find a right device as many models are slow and buggy. And special task killers are needed to keep it running decent. I'm sure the big models aren't too bad but the mid range models are the most common and those are far lacking and the experience can be dramatically different on similar handsets as far as navigation, functions and performance. I like honeycomb because for a tablet, it eliminates alot of these issues. Performance is more reliable, even on customized skins the experience is familiar, and from what I've seen the pim functions are better.
  10. jamex's Avatar
    Posts
    154 Posts
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    #190  
    There is already a dual boot video up. They are working on getting the touchscreen driver working. WHat I do notice is how much faster Android boots over WebOS.

    team-touchdroid
  11. #191  
    ya after playing with webOS I believe Android is a must! Lack of apps and features its no match to apple or android that's for sure.
  12. #192  
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTronix View Post
    ya after playing with webOS I believe Android is a must! Lack of apps and features its no match to apple or android that's for sure.
    I love my Touchpads.(yes, all three of them)

    However, using the Touchpad is very much like going into a super-fancy
    restaurant and topless waitresses, only to be told that their menu consists
    of two entrees.(chicken or beef)

    On my former Android tablet, it's like going into a local IHOP...

    On my iPad 2, it's like going into an all-you-can-eat buffet.
  13. #193  
    Could we put the PlayBook, QNX software on it? lol
    Visiting Moderator from CrackBerry.com!
  14. #194  
    Screw Android...just give me the ability to run Android apps on webOS.

    kthxbye.
  15. #195  
    Quote Originally Posted by callmechewy View Post
    Screw Android...just give me the ability to run Android apps on webOS.

    kthxbye.
    You're not alone....Palmdroid Official: Palmdroid Development Thread (android app emulator for WebOS) - xda-developers is an effort to port Android and allow it to run natively on-top of webOS. Check it out and show your support by helping program/development and financial wise.

    Either way, I think it is a great idea...big thumbs up! Sorli...
  16. #196  
    RT @HPTouchDroid: Can you say touchscreen working? and multi touch coming later today? WOOT video soon
    Team-Touchdroid
    Last edited by barrysanders20; 09/06/2011 at 08:54 AM.
  17. #197  
    Houston, we have multi-touch

    team-touchdroid presents… | team-touchdroid
  18. #198  
    awesome. if this can be dual booted even better. Or even better yet, run android in a card view on webOS = best of both worlds.
  19. #199  


    Cyanogen releases a new video showing hardware acceleration and multitouch.

    -------------------

    According to a Cypress developer rep, HP has been loading Android on all Touchpads initially, then overwriting Android with the webOS image.
    HP Kryptonite Forum • View topic - The Cypress Semiconductor CY8CTMA395 touchscreen controller
    Last edited by barrysanders20; 09/07/2011 at 12:10 PM.
  20. #200  
    I wonder how long it will take the people at Google to install a fully-
    functioning Android Honeycomb on a Touchpad? 6 hours, if I had to
    guess.....

    Imagine how grateful nearly 1 million Touchpad owners will be
    to Google, Inc.

    1 million new Android Touchpads can't be bad, right?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions