Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1.    #1  
    I know this may be a bad time to ask this question, but instead of getting rid of my touchpad is it possible to port android honeycomb over so I won't feel so angry that my expensive device is almost useless with no more apps or updates to the system.

    thanks,
  2. #2  
    if you can't return your TP because it's been more than 30 days, try to sell your TP on the craigslist for whatever it worth right now. And buy a transformer.
  3. spud101's Avatar
    Posts
    868 Posts
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    #3  
    I believe Honeycomb only works on Nvidia Tegra 2 chipsets, not on Snapdragons that are in our TPs.
  4. #4  
    I believe Meego is more likely, as it has Snapdragon support. The first official tablet version is due out soon.
  5. #5  
    That being said, I don't know how carefully they locked down the touchpad's bootloader. That will significantly impact the ease with which another OS can be installed.
  6. #6  
    <<thread moved>>
  7. #7  
    No, it's not - Honeycomb never did hit AOSP.

    ICS source should be available at some point, assuming Google doesn't change their minds.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    No, it's not - Honeycomb never did hit AOSP.

    ICS source should be available at some point, assuming Google doesn't change their minds.

    I assume you meant a definite "no" on Honeycomb?
    If that's the case, why is ICS a possibility?

    Thanks!
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    Honeycomb is not open source so a port is not possible. Hobeycomb was a quick job for Motorola but the next version known as ice cream sandwich will be open so a port should be possible.
    if not, I'll just have to wait for Android CP, Cream Puff.
  10. #10  
    The reason why you won't see a Honeycomb port is mainly because of Microsoft. When Google released the 2.x source code, Microsoft went through and found items that they said other companies were infringing on. Microsoft has been suing/ taxing Android manufacturers for functionality patents up to Android 2.3. Google is changing the code up with 3.x and 4.x to guard against this and stop Microsoft from leaching onto taxing Android manufacturers.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    I believe Honeycomb only works on Nvidia Tegra 2 chipsets, not on Snapdragons that are in our TPs.
    Honeycomb 3.2 works on Snapdragon chipsets and 7" screens.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by barrysanders20 View Post
    The reason why you won't see a Honeycomb port is mainly because of Microsoft. When Google released the 2.x source code, Microsoft went through and found items that they said other companies were infringing on. Microsoft has been suing/ taxing Android manufacturers for functionality patents up to Android 2.3. Google is changing the code up with 3.x and 4.x to guard against this and stop Microsoft from leaching onto taxing Android manufacturers.
    At least Micro$oft doesn't play it dirty like Apple, Inc. (who sued to block Samsung from
    selling Galaxy phones/tablets in Europe and anywhere it can convince a judge)

Posting Permissions