View Single Post
Old 10/25/2012, 10:07 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
Is there any other solution for this:

There's one hitch the Gram team working on the TV project is working hard to overcome, and that's boot speed. If you've used webOS, you know it can take a long while to boot, even with a beefy processor behind it. One solution being explored by the team is to actually leave the computer half of the TV running and merely switch off the screen off when the TV is turned 'off'.
Well when you think about it many devices don't actually completely shut down any more. Think of your DVR as one, the Nintendo Wii has two off modes, one of which will receive updates and messages and notify you when it has something new by flashing the light around the disc drive. My Samsung surround sound certainly keeps something powered on, because if I actually unplug it I lose all my radio presets and other settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
Isnt there some form of instant on technology out there that can be licensed for this project?
IIRC HP bought a company that has an instant on linux BIOS long ago, but before dumping webOS. Talk around here was that it would end up powering webOS one day, not sure if they still hold it or have any intention on using it as such.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: akitayo